A man accused of holding a woman and toddler hostage in a dramatic 26-hour stand off with police will stay in custody until at least April.
A 36-year-old man who allegedly held a woman and child hostage for 26 hours this week remains in hospital on Saturday.
The man who is facing 11 charges and cannot be named for legal reasons, has been remanded in custody ahead of his next court appearance on April 12.
He did not appear in Brisbane Magistrate’s Court on Saturday due to his continuing need to receive treatment for a “medical injury”, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service lawyer Lianna Kerrison said.
Police will allege the man was one of two peopl responsible for an armed robbery in Salisbury last Saturday night.
When officers attended the man’s home in Sunnybank on Thursday morning at 10.15am, police allege he threatened them with a weapon, sparking the mammoth siege.
For the next 26 hours; specialist officers attempted to negotiate with the man to free the woman and child trapped inside the home, who were known to the alleged offender.
At one point officers used a megaphone to tell him he was surrounded by police and to come out, with indecipherable shouts heard in return.
He surrendered himself at 12.15 on Friday.
Meanwhile, an exclusion zone shut down a number of streets in the South Brisbane community, which was not revoked until almost 1pm on Friday.
Residents had been told to stay inside their homes throughout the ordeal, with police barring entry from the wider public.
Shortly after police removed the order, one resident was seen taking their bins out.
The man is facing three counts of common assault, three counts of deprivation of liberty and one count each of endangering children by exposure, entering a premises with intent, robbery while armed, seriously assaulting a police officer while armed and unlawful possession of a category H weapon.