Family’s fury after teen gunned down

The family of a teen brutally gunned down have lashed out over a lack of answers as they also grapple with his brother being killed in a gangland shooting.

The death of Dyllan Kettule, 19, will be referred to the unsolved homicide squad after an extensive police investigation failed to uncover who fired gunshots at him in the early hours of January 26, 2014.

His shattered family, who lost another brother last month when crime figure Amar Kettule was gunned down in Fairfield, are frustrated by a lack of answers.

“We don’t want to give up until this is solved,” a family friend told the NSW Coroner’s Court.

“Instead we feel the case has disintegrated just like his corpse. Even though he is not with us we still want with all our hearts to fight for him.”

An inquest into Mr Kettule’s death lasted just 45 minutes on Thursday morning before Deputy State Coroner Derek Lee.

Counsel assisting the coroner Karissa Mackay was at pains to assure Mr Kettule’s family that the short timespan did not reflect the value of his life.

She laid out what happened: Mr Kettule was at a party at his girlfriend’s house on the evening of January 25, 2014.

The group had a BBQ, watched movies and socialised before the gathering broke up around 2.30am.

At that point, friends took Mr Kettule’s dog, named Trigger, for a walk.

The 19-year-old was walking towards his girlfriend when at least two shots rung out from the darkness.

Mr Kettule fell to the ground. He died at the scene from wounds to his upper left arm and the left side of his back.

The ensuing police investigation involved detectives, the homicide squad, forensics and ballistics officers, crime scene investigators, general duties officers and the dog squad.

More than 180 statements were obtained, more than 500 neighbouring residents canvassed, and around 500 requests for phone records combed through.

But despite all that, Magistrate Lee’s conclusions on Thursday were spare.

Dyllan Kettule died on January 26, 2014, from gunshot wounds to his trunk.

The person who pulled the trigger remains a mystery.

A family friend cried, wiping her eyes with a tissue, as she read a statement on behalf of the Kettule family.

The family had lived in “pain and sorrow” since Mr Kettule died, and were desperate for answers, she said.

“We are angry and frustrated that since his death other murders and attempted murders have been investigated and resolved,” she read.

“The death of our baby brother Dylan was a sudden death, an unexpected death, a death that tore us a family into pieces.”

Magistrate Lee referred the case to the unsolved homicide unit.

Dyllan’s older brother Amar Kettule was a well-known underworld figure and member of the True Kings gang.

Police said he was effectively “assassinated in his vehicle”, succumbing to a hail of bullets outside his Fairfield home at about 2.40am on Sunday January 10.

More to come.

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *