Stabbing shocks Melbourne cafe

An eyewitness to a violent scene that erupted at a popular St Kilda cafe on Sunday morning, leaving staff and bystanders rattled, says there was ‘so much blood’.

Heroic bystanders held down a man who had just allegedly stabbed another in the neck during a “massive argument” outside a bustling Melbourne cafe on Sunday morning, according to an eyewitness.

A man was rushed to hospital with multiple stab wounds to his upper body after the horrific incident at the Staple Providore & Cafe on Fitzroy Street.

Police swarmed the St Kilda scene just before 10am on Sunday and arrested a 42-year-old man.

Victoria Police believe the two men are known to each other.

Baki Baskar, who works at a barber shop next to the cafe, told NCA NewsWire he heard arguing and screams before he and friends ran outside to face a confronting scene.

Mr Baskar said he heard the man shouting before he stabbed him in the neck at about 9.40am.

“I called the cops straight away,” he said. “Two mates held him on the ground and we used a tissue for the man’s neck but there was so much blood.”

Mr Baskar said he heard the pair having a “massive argument” in the street.

After the stabbing the “corporate, normal” looking man did not try to flee, Mr Baskar said.

“I don’t know where he got the knife from,” he said.

“Lucky he’s alive, I’m so happy because there’s a lot of blood.”

Australian actor Rhys Muldoon came across the crime scene as police were poring over the cordoned off alfresco area.

Mr Muldoon said the “really popular” cafe was packed at the time of the incident and the staff were extremely rattled.

“The staff are all in full shock,” he said. “They’re all young girls. It’s a Sunday morning and it’s a really popular cafe.”

Images from the scene show a pool of blood splashed on the footpath outside the cafe, not far from tables shaded by blue umbrellas.

In a statement Victoria Police said a man was stabbed in the course of an “altercation”.

“A man received multiple stab wounds to the upper body and was transported to hospital with serious injuries,” the statement said.

“A 42-year-old St Kilda man was arrested at the scene and is currently assisting police with their enquiries.”

Anyone who witnessed the incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers, 1800 333 000.

Know more?

You May Also Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *