Former top draft pick Jack Watts couldn’t believe there was a warrant out for his arrest. Watch as he explains the whole saga in this week’s episode of KFC SuperFooty TV.
Former No. 1 draft pick Jack Watts has set the record straight over the court confusion that led to a mistaken warrant for his arrest this week.
The warrant for the former Melbourne and Port Adelaide player was withdrawn after his lawyer Darren Russo recalled the matter before the Adelaide Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
The court had been unable to locate the retired footballer and had issued a summons.
But Watts told the KFC TV SuperFooty Show: “I reached out several times to the South Australian police, but didn’t hear anything back from May 2 onwards.
Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
“I called them again on Monday to try and find out again when the court date was, and here we are — I’m a fugitive on the run from police.
“It’s a bit frustrating and I do find it slightly ironic that the Herald Sun is reporting that I’m on the loose and hard to find when I’m in here every Wednesday doing a show for them.
“But anyway, that is just something from my perspective.”
The 30-year-old Watts was charged last September with failing to stop and give particulars to persons at a crash scene in Adelaide, failing to report the crash to police and driving without due care.
Russo said he and Watts had been in contact with the Henley Beach police station in the past but had “never been served”.
“We’ve been waiting to be provided with the summons by Henley Beach (police) via email, and it hasn’t come through,” Russo told the court.
“Today (last Monday) we came across by chance that it was on and there’s been all sorts of trouble as a result.”
Russo said he expected his client to plead guilty to “some charges”.